Our religious education program begins with Kindergarten and continues through Twelfth Grade. The program encourages students to have fun while learning. We want our students to have multiple venues to make Jewish friends, to feel at home at Temple and to create relationships with synagogue life and our Rabbi. As a school community, we celebrate holidays and participate in projects of Tikkun Olam, the repair of the world. Our formal studies are supplemented with outstanding youth programs. We hope that our students are proud and knowledgeable Jews who will make informed religious decisions throughout their lives. To that end, we offer the following special programs and experiences:
Our curriculum includes age-appropriate studies that focus on Jewish holidays, values, history, current events, Israel, and Jewish culture at each grade level. Graduates of our Religious School are able to fully participate in synagogue life and family celebrations.
HEBREW LANGUAGE INSTRUCTION
- Beginning in Kindergarten, students become familiar with the Alef-Bet through games and art.
- Second Grade marks the beginning of learning to decode, vocalize and read whole words.
- In Third through Seventh Grades, we continue improving Hebrew reading skills with a focus on reading prayers and services.
- We offer a Hebrew Drop-In Lab to provide additional opportunities for students to practice Hebrew. These small groups and individual sessions have helped many students excel.
PREPARATION FOR B’NAI MITZVAH
B’nai Mitzvah is celebrated for children at the age of 13, or older, when the child has acquired the Hebrew skills to lead the congregation in worship and read from the Torah.
EDUCATION FOR CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS
We believe that a Jewish education is important for all children. Students who need additional support, due to physical, mental or emotional limitations, are encouraged to contact our school office so we can best support your needs.
SEVENTH THROUGH TWELFTH GRADES
Your Jewish Education Continues!
- Seventh Grade: Students join in classes on Wednesday evenings that include Hebrew, Judaic, and Holocaust Studies as well as Clergy time.
- Eighth and Ninth Grade: Students participate in a class twice a month on Wednesday evenings whose topics vary based on student interest.
- Confirmation Class: Tenth Graders study weekly on Sundays with the Rabbi, assist in our Religious School, and end the year by leading the congregation in worship and celebration.
- T.A.G.: (Torah, Avodah, Gemillut Chasadim): Eleventh and Twelfth Graders meet once a month over dinner with the Rabbi to discuss how Judaism can enrich their current life and future life plans.
INFORMAL EDUCATION AND YOUTH PROGRAMS
- All students are automatically enrolled in our Temple youth program and we encourage active participation. Our programs blend social activities with Jewish values and spirituality, while developing leadership skills.
- Connecting our youth to synagogue life is a vital part of enriching our children’s growth, focusing on building lifelong Jewish identities and friendships.
- Gesher (K-Grade 2), Giborim ( Grades 3-5), ATID (Grades 6-8), & TOUCHY (Grades 9-12)
2021-2022 Religious School Calendars
RELIGIOUS SCHOOL GENERAL SCHEDULE (2022-2023)
Kindergarten – 4th Grades
Sundays 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
5th and 6th Grades
Sundays 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM & Wednesdays 5:00 – 6:30 PM
Wednesdays 5:30 – 7:00 PM
8th and 9th Grades
Twice a month on Wednesdays 5:45 – 7:00 PM
10th Grade – Confirmation
Assisting in Religious School: Sundays 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM
Class: Sundays 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
11th and 12th Grades – T.A.G.
Once a month on Wednesdays 6:00 – 7:00 PM