Our religious education program begins with Kindergarten and concludes in Twelfth Grade. The program encourages students to have fun while learning. We want our students to have multiple venues to make Jewish friends, to feel at home at Temple and to create relationships with synagogue life and our Rabbi. As a school community we celebrate holidays and participate in projects of Tikkun Olam, the repair of the world. Our formal studies are supplemented with outstanding youth programs. We hope that our students are proud and knowledgeable Jews who will make informed religious decisions throughout their lives. To that end, we offer the following special programs and experiences:
Our spiral curriculum includes age-appropriate studies that focus on Jewish holidays, history, current events, Israel, Jewish culture and life cycles at each grade level. Graduates of our religious school are able to fully participate in synagogue life and family celebrations.
HEBREW LANGUAGE INSTRUCTION
- Beginning in Kindergarten, students become familiar with the Alef-Bet through games and art.
- Second Grade marks the beginning of learning to decode, vocalize and read whole words.
- In Third through Seventh Grade, we continue improving Hebrew reading skills with a focus on
reading prayers and services.
- We offer a Hebrew Drop-In Lab on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons to provide additional
opportunties for students to practice Hebrew. These small groups and individual sessions have
helped many students excel.
PREPARATION FOR BAR OR BAT MITZVAH
Bar or Bat Mitzvah is celebrated for boys and girls at the age of 13, or older, when the child has acquired the Hebrew skills to lead the congregation in worship and read from the Torah.
Sunday morning programs and field trips allow parents and child to learn together and create new Jewish memories.
EDUCATION FOR CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS
We believe that a Jewish education is important for all children. Students who need additional support, due to physical, mental or emotional limitations, are encouraged to contact our school office so we can best support your needs.
SEVENTH THROUGH TWELFTH GRADE
Your Jewish Education Continues!
- Seventh Grade: Students enroll in classes on Wednesday evenings that include Hebrew studies plus elective classes in Jewish studies.
- Eighth and Ninth Grade: Students participate in a Wednesday evening class, twice a month.
- Confirmation Class: Tenth Graders study weekly on Sundays with the Rabbi, assist in our Religious School, and end the year by leading the congregation in worship and celebration.
- T.A.G.(Torah, Avodah, Gemillut Chasadim): Eleventh and Twelfth Graders meet once a month over
dinner with the Rabbi to discuss how Judaism can enrich their current life and future life plans.
INFORMAL EDUCATION AND YOUTH PROGRAMS
- All students will be able to supplement formal studies with our youth programs. Our programs blend social activities with Jewish values and spirituality, while developing leadership skills.
- Connecting our youth to synagogue life is a vital part of enriching our children’s growth, focusing on building lifelong Jewish identities and friendships.
- Gesher (K-Grade 2), Giborim ( Grades 3-5), ATID (Grades 6-8), & TOUCHY (Grades 9-12)
RELIGIOUS SCHOOL GENERAL SCHEDULE
Kindergarten – 4th Grades
Sundays 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
5th and 6th Grades
Sundays 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM & Wednesdays 5:00 – 6:30 PM
Wednesdays 5:30 – 7:00 PM
8th and 9th Grades
Twice a month on Wednesdays 5:45 – 7:00 PM
10th Grade – Confirmation
Assisting in Religious School: Sundays 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Class: Sundays 12:00 – 1:00 PM
11th and 12th Grades – T.A.G.
Once a month on Wednesdays 6:00 – 7:00 PM
We have an Amazon Wish List at http://a.co/cTdqwlH. Anytime you shop on Amazon, please shop at smile.amazon.com and support Temple Dor Dorim! Be sure to select Reform Congregation of Weston as your charity of choice!