Our religious education program begins with Kindergarten and concludes in Twelfth Grade. The program encourages students to have fun while learning. We want our students to have multiple venues to make Jewish friends, to feel at home at Temple and to create relationships with synagogue life and our Rabbi. As a school community we celebrate holidays and birthdays, as well as participate in projects of Tikkun Olam, the repair of the world. We hope that our students are proud and knowledgeable Jews who will make informed religious decisions throughout their lives. To that end, we offer the following special programs and experiences:
Our spiral curriculum includes age-appropriate studies that focus on Jewish holidays, history, current events, Israel, Jewish culture and life cycles at each grade level. Our goal is for our students to fully participate in synagogue life and family celebrations.
HEBREW LANGUAGE INSTRUCTION
- Beginning in Kindergarten, students become familiar with the alef-bet through games and art.
- Second Grade marks the beginning of learning to decode, vocalize and read whole words.
- Third through Seventh Graders continue improving skills and application to reading prayers and Torah verses.
- Advanced classes are offered for students entering 6th grade who are able to excel at Hebrew language acquisition.
PREPARATION FOR BAR OR BAT MITZVAH
Bar or Bat Mitzvah is celebrated for boys and girls at the age of 13, or older, when the child has acquired the Hebrew skills to lead the congregation in worship and read from Torah.
Sunday morning programs and field trips allow parents and child to learn together and create new Jewish memories.
EDUCATION FOR CHILDREN WITH SPECIAL NEEDS
Students who cannot thrive in a traditional classroom, due to physical, mental or emotional limitations, are encouraged to participate in our Kochavim (“Stars”) class so they can work to their full potential.
SEVENTH THROUGH TWELFTH GRADE
Education does not conclude at the end of Sixth Grade!
- Judaica CHAI! Lights: Seventh graders enroll in classes on Wednesday evening that include Hebrew studies plus elective classes in Jewish studies.
- Judaica CHAI!: Eighth and Ninth graders participate in a Wednesday evening class, twice a month, and study with Rabbi Daniel Sherman and other professionals in our congregation.
- Confirmation Class: Tenth Graders study weekly on Sundays with Rabbi Sherman and at the conclusion of the year lead the congregation in worship and celebration.
- T.A.G.(Torah, Avodah, Gemillut Chasadim): Eleventh and Twelfth graders meet once a month over dinner with Rabbi Sherman to discuss how Judaism can enrich their current life and future life plans.
INFORMAL EDUCATION AND YOUTH PROGRAMS
All students will be able to supplement formal studies with our youth programs. Our programs blend social activities with Jewish values and spirituality, while developing leadership skills.
Connecting our youth to synagogue life is a vital part of enriching our children’s growth, focusing on building lifelong Jewish identities and friendships.
Judaica CHAI! Lights (7th Grade)
Judaica CHAI! (8th & 9th Grades)
Confirmation (10th Grade)
T.A.G. (11th-12th Grades)
Volunteer opportunities, “Wish List” and Pay your PTO dues
RELIGIOUS SCHOOL GENERAL SCHEDULE
Kindergarten – 4th Grades
Sundays 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
5th and 6th Grades
Sundays 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM & Wednesdays 5:00 – 6:30 PM
Advanced Hebrew Class – 6th Grade
Sundays 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Tuesdays OR Thursdays (yet to be determined) 5:00 – 6:30 PM
7th Grade – Judaica CHAI! Lights
Wednesdays 5:30 – 7:00 PM
8th and 9th Grades – Judaica CHAI!
Twice a month on Wednesdays 5:30 – 7:00 PM
10th Grade – Confirmation
Sundays 12:00 – 1:00 PM
11th and 12th Grades – T.A.G.
Once a month on Wednesdays 6:00 – 7:00 PM